Wednesday 27 November 2013

Millington Associates Analysis



Millington Associates have been design window displays since 1988, they've worked with some of the worlds leading brands to transform imaginative design ideas into inspiring 3D installations. The 2 window displays above were created for Selfridges at christmas time. The traditional christmas theme I think is the main focus of these window displays as well as for advertising the shoes. The windows are surrounded by bushes covered in fairy lights this looks very elegant and sophisticated which is what would be expected of Selfridges. 
The actual set up of the window makes it look like a kind of story and stage set up. The snow and little christmas trees show the christmas theme along with the fairy lights around the windows. I think the idea of the windows is quite abstract with the big shows in the set-up but I think it makes it quite fun but still sophisticated. I think the windows themselves are quite dark especially some of the colours but i think the fact they are lit with fairy lights and also with lights inside makes the window seem more realistic in the dark. I also like the fact that the background is all stars and is in the night because I think this works in both the night and the day as you can just have dull lighting during the day. 
The top quater of the window seems to be kept empty in both windows i think this is because of the layout of the window and the fact I think if there was any more props inside the window it would look to busy. I think the windows as they are are simple but they dont need anything added to them, I'm quite suprised that there is no text in the windows not even to tell customers where to find certain items so maybe there might have been some text somewhere else. 
I like the top window better because I think it looks more fun and exciting and like there could be more story behind it, theres also quite a bit more colour in the top window than in the bottom one, so I think this would be the one that would catch my eye if i was walking down the road.
I think the window displays focus entirely on one main thing whereas a stage set-up would have have to focus on a series of things as they both have different audiences, a stage set-up would have to cater for more than purpose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment